Saturday, May 23, 2015

Go big or go home

If you told me three years ago that I would graduate university with a CGPA of 3.92 out of 4.0, I would've probably laughed in your face. I'm not trying to brag about my CGPA, don't get me wrong. I'm just very proud of myself and a little surprised too because I was never a straight A student - not in high school, not in college. Even in Taylor's I had my share of Bs. In my first year I was at 3.67 and I was perfectly happy with it because in college I walked along the 2.5-2.7 line. When I entered uni, I constantly reminded myself to "go big or go home" when it came to assignments and exams. I even wrote it on a post-it and pinned it up in my room. I was all the way in KL and getting my degree so I didn't want to waste the money and years there by getting subpar (in my own standards) results. So for three years, "go big or go home" was my motto or mantra or whatever you want to call it. You might find it funny and strange but it actually helped fuel me through study sessions whenever I felt lazy to rewrite my notes or when I just felt too tired to continue. 

A LOT of people tend to think that a degree in communications is easy peasy. In all honesty, it isn't and the assumption that it is always annoys the heck out of me. It was tough and tiring at times and some assignments really took up a ton of hours. I will, however, agree that it is way easier than a medical degree or actuarial science or law and the like. But then again, everything is just that little bit easier when you have an interest in the topic isn't it? I had an interest in PR and journalism which made it a more enjoyable course than if I had taken a business or accountancy course. If I'd taken anything else, I probably wouldn't have gotten the same kind of results. Of course it also depends on whether or not you set your mind to working hard and giving your best so there's that too. 

Communication students put in just as much effort into our assignments, our classes and examinations as any other faculty. So if you think a 3.92 CGPA is nothing because my course is "easy", please get off your high horse and think again. Until you can a) Put together a newspaper within three weeks, b) Research, plan & execute a full-blown event and PR campaign, c) Film a short film/documentary, d) Put together an advertising campaign and e) Design & print materials using the right kind of paper/colour/size, don't think for a second that being a comm student is all rainbows and unicorns. We have just as many group assignments and presentations as anyone else and we have our fair share of disagreements and arguments especially when you put 5 creative minds together. Just because you can perform surgeries, calculate (is this even the right term? lol) foundations upon which our houses are built upon or keep a company's finances in check, it doesn't make you more atas than us ok? We might be really bad at math (let's be honest) but we can do other awesome stuff like design a press kit so badass, the media would beg for an invite to our event... HAHAHAHA shut up it could happen ok. 

I worked hard for my degree and I worked hard to graduate with First Class Honours and I am so damn proud of myself and of the rest of Taylor's SOC's graduating class of 2015. 

To my friends and coursemates, see you girls (and guys) in a week! We did it! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment